Friday 27 September 2013

SFFS 28-9-2013

This is my snippet this week for SFFSat. SFFSat is a place where a number of authors post snippets from their written works, and give the opportunity for comments, support and encouragement. Please also explore the other blogs that are part of this set - you can find the information here.


I've not taken part in SFFS for some time - blame real life for getting in the way. This week my snippet is from Sorrel Snowbound, which is the recently-released sequel to Sorrel in Scarlet. Sorrel, my pilot heroine, is climbing the edge of the Chasm to reach the surface. 


The climb was going pretty well.

I'd come across a dozen chunks that I decided not to trust my weight to, but the vast majority of the rock-face felt as solid as the stuff between my ears.

Until now. A large outcrop of grey-green granite, a perfect handhold at the top – how was I supposed to know it was only attached to the cliff by a couple of blobs of fungi? I gripped it firmly, hauled myself up... and I felt it lurch, folding out from the cliff and carrying me out into the void, to begin a half-mile fall to destruction.

I was screaming - the rock was perhaps eight feet high, twelve feet wide, and I was clutching it with both hands. Not a chance of grabbing any other piece of the cliff-face. I can fly most things, but boulders aren't in my repertoire. 



 Comments gratefully received!

No comments:

Post a Comment