Friday 18 July 2014

SFFSat 19/7/2014 - Sorrel in Silver

This is my snippet this week for SFFSat. SFFSat is a place where a number of authors post snippets from their written works, and give the opportunity for comments, support and encouragement. Please also explore the other blogs that are part of this set - you can find the information here. 


This week I'm posting another extract from Sorrel in Silver. Two thousand years ago, the elves almost destroyed Sorrel's world in a genocidal war with the serpent-folk. Now Sorrel and Wrack have met with a small group of surviving elves...


 'Most people think of us as monsters, evil horrors from the distant past. When we've revealed our existence in the past we've been met with vilification and violence.'
'Not surprising' Wrack growled. 'You virtually destroyed the world.'
Daziel bridled at his words, but Malena raised a hand warningly. 'Wrack's right, Daziel' she said softly. 'We did. It was a last-ditch attempt to strike back at the lloruk – a final act of vengeance from a race about to vanish into extinction.' She looked at each of us in turn. 'If you knew that every last one of you was about to die, murdered by an evil foe, would you not do whatever you could to bring that foe down?'
I shivered as her words painted pictures in my thoughts. Men, women and children dying in agony, the marks of disease across their bodies. What would I have done had I known that fate was upon me? If I had had a doomsday weapon, would I have used it to hammer the genocidal monsters responsible for this crime?


Moral questions - not something Sorrel finds easy...
As always, comments appreciated!

1 comment: