Friday 20 February 2015

SFFSat 21/2/2015 Sorrel in Silver

This is my snippet this week for SFFSat. I couldn't post last week - real life intervened - but this week I'm back. SFFSat is a place where a number of authors post snippets from their written works, and give the opportunity for comments, support and encouragement. Please also explore the other blogs that are part of this set - you can find the information here. 

 This is another snippet from Sorrel in Silver. Sorrel is in the city of the lloruk, following Juustehr, one of the reptilian lloruk mages. She opens a door and stops dead...



The chamber beyond was full of snakes. At least a dozen. Two gigantic ones, six feet long or more, with diamond patterns of orange and blue scales, were sprawled across the outcroppings of stones that dotted the room. Five smaller green serpents lay under the illumination of a bright lamp shining down onto a wide, smooth stone slab. More writhed away across the striated stone floor; those were small ones, only a foot long, in a variety of patterns. Juustehr walked through the chamber with a total lack of concern for the snakes. I stared at them. One of the big ones, its head only a couple of feet from the lift doors, turned its eyes to me and held my gaze. I didn't dare move.
Juustehr turned and looked back at me. He was almost at the far door out of the room. 'Sorrel? Don't waste time admiring that python; she's lazy, always delighted to be ogled.'

 As always, comments appreciated.

6 comments:

  1. Snakes are fun. You don't see them often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I quite like snakes, but it was quite fun writing from the point of view of an ophidiophobe.

      Delete
  2. Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect Sorrel would quite like to see herself as Indiana, if she knew who he was.

      Delete
  3. Lazy? That sneaky, little...I would be so miffed at her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup - nothing worse than a vain, lazy python.

      Delete