Friday 3 April 2015

SFFSat 4/4/2015 Sorrel in Scarlet

 This is my snippet this week for SFFSat. I couldn't post last week - real life intervened - but this week I'm back. SFFSat is a place where a number of authors post snippets from their written works, and give the opportunity for comments, support and encouragement. Please also explore the other blogs that are part of this set - you can find the information here.

 I missed last week - too much else going on. This week, I've gone back to my first novel, Sorrel in Scarlet. 


My pilot heroine, Sorrel, is trying to find somewhere to sleep for the night. She has crept into a stable, then hears something moving...




Something stirred in the straw spread over the floor. It was dark in here - no helpful lanterns to show me what I was facing. I ducked into the shadows and tried to make out the bulk nestling in front of me.

It suddenly raised a head, and large, emerald green eyes were looking my way. Moments later, a second pair of eyes were also peering towards me. I guessed what I was looking at - I really, really hoped it had poor night vision. A large wing twitched, confirming my very nasty belief - this had to be a snarq. Which meant it had two fully-functioning and lethal acid-spitting heads. And it was looking my way. I stood very still, and waited, wishing I didn't need to breathe.

One of the heads lowered into the straw, and then the other settled down as well. Slowly, cautiously, stepping gingerly so as not to knock into anything at all, not even a piece of straw, I tiptoed backwards like a frightened mouse creeping away from a dozing owl.

Did I really want to stay the night here? The logic was fine, but I didn't like the bed partner in that stable. After I had a fling with Lorgren, Tolly joked I’d sleep with anyone – I was glad to prove his accusation false. 

 As always, comments welcomed!


2 comments:

  1. She may be brave, but a snarq as a bed partner is too much!
    I love the humourous comments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I always work on the assumption that a sense of humour helps characters cope with deadly danger.

      Delete