Friday 22 May 2015

SFFS 4th Birthday!


This is my snippet this week for SFFS. SFFS is 4 years old! Happy Birthday!

For the last four years SFFS has been a place where a number of authors post snippets from their written works, and gives the opportunity for comments, support and encouragement. I've been a part of SFFS for well over two years, but there are other authors who have been here from the beginning.

Please explore the other blogs that are part of SFFS - you can find the information here. Congratulations to everyone who has been a part of this group!

This week, I'm going back to Sorrel in Scarlet, the book I first posted from on SFFS. As is often the way, Sorrel, my pilot heroine, is in trouble again. She is in the clutches of a group of graalur - unpleasant, orc-like thugs...

 
The female graalur sergeant's eyes were on me, studying me coldly. "What use can you be to me?" Her voice was hard and final – I could tell without a doubt that my answer to the query would determine my fate. If I was not of any significant use to her, she would enjoy watching her minions torturing me, assuming she didn't decide to join in. What could I do to be useful?
Squum that! The critical issue was whether this lafquass could be useful to me. She was less than two paces from me, and her only weapon looked to be a long knife in an open sheath at her belt. I let my eyes flicker past the woman's right shoulder - just a fractional move, nothing so obvious as telling her to look behind her. Enough for an experienced soldier to think there was something there. She turned instinctively – I grabbed for the blade at her belt, jerking the slightly curved bronze out of the sheath and against her neck in a swift, smooth movement. At the same moment I slid my other arm around part of the vast expanse of her waist, dragging her to me – or more accurately me to her, so that her fat, flabby chest was pressed against mine. Not a pleasant experience – she really wasn't my type.
"Not a move!" I snarled at her minion, who had responded two heartbeats too slowly to my lunge. "Or your sergeant gets demoted to corpse!"

As always, comments welcomed!
(I can't claim credit for the cake, by the way - an image I borrowed from elsewhere on the internet, and adapted appropriately!)
 

6 comments:

  1. Some great lines in this snippet. Chuckled at the 'not my type' line, and you can never go wrong with a threat to demote a sergeant to corpse. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I laughed at the "not my type" line, too. Great action scene, and I love that cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Squum that you lafquass! I think we should all make a point to use both of those creative expletives at some point this weekend. Fun read with some nice details playing out the action. Squumin' good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorrel in fighting mode as usual!
    Mind you, her "type" is weird too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love Sorrel's choice of words. Makes for amusing reading, lol. And that cake's gorgeous, thank you!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol at the 'she really wasn't my type'. ^_^

    ReplyDelete