Friday 24 July 2015

SFFS 25/7/2015 Impcatcher - Tal and Gustav


This is my snippet this week for SFFS. SFFS is a place where a number of authors post snippets from their written works, and give the opportunity for comments, support and encouragement. Please also explore the other blogs that are part of this set - you can find the information here.

 This is another snippet from Impcatcher. Tal Djandiss, the Impcatcher of the title, is in the marketplace, confronting an orc named Gustav.



Gustav has mottled dark red-grey skin, ivory tusks, muscles, and a propensity for violence. He's almost human in shape, which is one of the reasons I find orcs particularly unsettling – they're too much like us. They also have a taste for members of the opposite sex, not necessarily of their own kind. I was not letting him get anywhere near Ursa.
What's it to you, Gus?”
He bared his tusks in what I suspect he fondly believed was a smile. “Rorsdack wants the Veil back.”
He'd look pretty stupid wearing it.”
Gustav didn't even crack a smile. Orcs do have a sense of humour, but the things they find amusing include eviscerations and boiling oil. Real jokes don't amuse them. Nor did my comment, for that matter.

  As always, comments welcomed!

5 comments:

  1. I love your snide comments on orcs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Just don't repeat them in an orc's hearing - he might not be amused.

      Delete
  2. Oh great; a humourless orc. >.<

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two orcs walk into a tavern...wait, you've heard this one already? Fun exchange between these two. Looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good snippet...gives me all I need to know about this orc, and orcs in general. And I always love some good snark...

    ReplyDelete