Friday 25 September 2015

SFFS - 26-9-2015 Impcatcher

This is my snippet this week for SFFSat. SFFSat is a place where a number of authors post snippets from their written works, and give the opportunity for comments, support and encouragement. Please also explore the other blogs that are part of this set - you can find the information here.
 
Today's snippet is from Impcatcher, which I am aiming to publish in roughly a month's time. Tal, the eponymous impcatcher, is in a cellar, endeavouring to capture an imp which is throwing bottles of vintage wine at him.
Last week, he ignited a crystal that flared brightly...

 
The imp was staring at the cohlstone as it ignited, and it cried out in alarm and pain. I, of course, was looking anywhere but towards the flare. As it faded, I lunged through the returning gloom with gauntleted hands to seize my prey. My hands fastened around the imp’s throat, and I yanked it bodily off the top of the empty stone shelves that climbed steeply up the side wall of the cellar. In the rapidly dying light from the cohlstone I could see what I had caught. Dark green, mottled skin covering a body the size and scrawniness of an adult goblin; a large hooked nose, small, bat wings, and two temporarily blinded red eyes. 

It struggled, of course. I’m no light-weight, and I kept my grip upon it as it thrashed around, its jaws clamping together with an audible click as it tried to bite, its wings beating fast to haul it out of trouble. Without success, needless to say. I’m quite capable of holding onto even a large imp. And this was one – maybe forty inches tall, and surprisingly muscular. A quozac. Her Ladyship’s description had sounded like a hob, or at worst a skitterhorn - a quozac was far more of a handful. And I’d dropped my binding net. I'm getting too old for this game – I'll be forty in three years.

 I offered up three different covers last week. This time I have a totally different image - again, I'd really appreciate comments about the cover and if you think this is better or worse than last week's offerings!

4 comments:

  1. I feel his pain...I'm getting too old for this......game, sure we'll go with that. :-)
    Maybe in the future, he can invent tranquilizer darts for these things, and forgo all the physical torture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad he's not a lightweight. If I was in his position, I'd be a goner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the whole premise for this book - like a medieval exterminator for magic creatures and demons. Also that he takes such a practical approach to it. Covers - I like the orange back drop from last week best of those three but I think I like this week's cover even more - fills in the story a little but adds some questions too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neat description of the imp and its desperate struggle.
    This cover is interesting in the details, but on my screen it is too dark and only the imp stands out.

    ReplyDelete