Thursday 10 March 2016

SFFS 12/3/2016 Sorrel Swordless part 6

This is my snippet this week for SFFSat. SFFSat is a place where a number of authors post snippets from their written works, and give the opportunity for comments, support and encouragement. Please also explore the other blogs that are part of this group - you can find the information here.

This is part 5 of a complete short story (in snippets) set in Sorrel's world. For those who have already read the Sorrel novels (and if you haven't, you should - they're good books!) this is set after the end of Sorrel in Silver - but you don't need to have read the novels for it to make sense, and it doesn't contain too many spoilers for the main trilogy. Part 5 is here, in case you missed it last week. A giant horror has crept up on our hapless heroine, and she has decided to swim for it, despite bleeding from a wound the brute inflicted.


 
I was more than a dozen feet from the shore. The ruzdrool stood still, tentacles writhing, both eye stalks focussed upon me, assuming I was right about their function. Kelhene was well back, a couple of bushes and a large tree between her and the monster. I couldn't see her sword, either. We both should have learned by now that if somewhere looks safe and inviting in the Chasm, it isn't.

I just hoped there were no carnivorous fish in the lake. I knew from past experience that some of the waters down here contained dangerous predators. The blood I was spilling into the lake ought to attract anything that liked fresh meat. So far, nothing had turned up looking for dinner. I wasn't sure how long my luck would hold out.

The Swan was moored to the bank only ten yards from the silent ruzdrool. The hatch was open against the bank. The hatch on the lake side was dogged closed. I knew that – I'd locked it shut before getting out. There are times when I think I deserve a gold medal for stupidity above and beyond the call of imbecility.

 As always, comments welcomed!

1 comment:

  1. Oh no! She's stuck between a ruzdrool and a watery place!

    ReplyDelete